Sunday, February 7, 2010

Race Relations, I Guess

No serious developments this week, so I thought I'll go ahead and continue my Enemies List. First up...

Pat Robertson, Rush Limbaugh, et al.
Wow. Thanks for making it easy and super hip to be a white Christian Republican, guys.
Which sort of brings me to the next one...

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab
In addition to being my political enemy, Umar holds the distinguished position of being my actual enemy as well, since, you know, he tried to murder me. "But" you say, "you could have chosen any of the world's hilariously failed terrorists for this list!" True, but Umar is responsible for building so many bridges between Muslims/non-Muslims and black people/everyone else. Like the above gentlemen, Mr. Abdulmutallab has deliberately dedicated himself to making life unbearable for people of his same background. At any given moment, there's a Muslim American thinking to himself "It sure is great that when people hear my last name they think my first and only instinct is to just run at the nearest airplane and blow it up. That's marketable. That will land me a high-power job and a supermodel wife." Thanks to Umar and his compatriots, there's only one Muslim in the media that the West is comfortable with seeing, and that's probably only because he's played by an Indian.

Also, you've no doubt heard that Mr. Abdulmutallab is from Nigeria, a nation known for its urgent business propositions and general success, as evidenced by the fact that it spends most of its time blowing up 80% of its own GDP. So the fact that his pantsbomb failed actually furthers another stereotype - that of ineptitude. Don't believe such a stereotype exists? Let's try a little experiment. Which of the following headlines would be more shocking to you:

NIGERIAN DESTROYS OWN GENITALS IN BOMB BLUNDER
NIGERIAN MARTYR MASTERMINDS TERROR ATTACK

That's what I thought. Racist. Speaking of which, I don't care much for Chris Rock either.

No comments:

Post a Comment